Intellicare is a suite of apps for Android™ devices that are all designed to address common thought patterns or behaviors related to depression and anxiety. Each app targets a specific area:
- Aspire guides users in setting goals and identifying concrete steps to meet them. Completely customizable, Aspire focuses on overarching core principles and personal beliefs.
- Daily Feat helps users create small, achievable daily goals to combat low energy and motivation. Users gain points and level up as they complete their customized task lists.
- Day to Day provides frequent affirmations and “tips and tricks” for keeping an improved mood. These short messages can help to refocus attention in the moment away from problematic thoughts or feelings toward more helpful and constructive alternatives.
- iCope allows users to enter their own inspirational and supportive messages that they can send to themselves later, as they need them. More personal messages like these might be more meaningful and, therefore, effective.
- ME Locate connects with Google Maps and helps users find and remember locations that help make them feel positive or relaxed. Users can enter and save their own sites or get suggestions from the program.
- MoveMe helps users integrate physical activity into their daily lives. It provides suggestions for 10-15 exercise routines and allows users to set up a plan or schedule for workouts in order to stay motivated. It also contains resources created by experts knowledgeable about the links between exercise and mood.
- My Mantra lets users input personally meaningful phrases about users’ own strengths and virtues, then organize these into albums that users can access any time they need a pick-me-up. Mantras are commonly used in mindfulness exercises and meditation.
- Purple Chill is a relaxation app that contains a variety of audio exercises that guide users through mindful meditation practice.
- Social Force helps users stay in contact with important friends, relatives, and supportive others. Users enter contact information and specify the kinds of support they receive from that person. When users need that support at a later time, Social Force will remind them of who they can go to and let them call or text straight from the app.
- Slumber Time assists users in tracking the quality of their sleep while learning to practice better sleep “hygiene.” It contains a checklist of healthy and relaxing behaviors for users to complete before trying to fall asleep, and also lets users set favorite songs or soothing sounds as alarms.
- Thought Challenger helps users reframe problematic thoughts and get new perspective on their thinking. Users record troublesome thoughts and are then prompted to come up with helpful and constructive responses. This process lets users practice challenging their thinking and identify common cognitive distortions.
- Worry Knot targets the anxiety that can arise when users face situations that feel overwhelming or confusing. The app offers education about “Tangled Thinking,” as well as practice in reducing worry as it happens. Users get feedback on their practice and can keep track of their progress.
Users purchase each app separately but can then access them through the Intellicare Hub app to better manage notifications and updates in the same place. The Intellicare suite is likely to be helpful for users who struggling with mild-to-moderate depression and anxiety and who want continuous easy access to a variety of different tools.
Total score: 8/14
Basis of research: 0/3
Source of funding for the research: 2/2
Specificity of proposed intervention: 2/3
Number of consumer ratings: 1/3
Product advisory support: 1/1
Software support: 2/2
date of rating: June 2016
Learn more about the Credibility Rating
Subjective quality score: 1.50
Perceived impact score: 3.25
Rating date: August 2016
Rated by: Queensland University
No information yet
Available for: Android devices
Company: Center for Behavioral Intervention Technologies at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Classification: Cognitive Behavioral Principles
Targeted conditions: Mood Disorders, Stress & Anxiety
Target demographic: Any
Special provider necessary: No
Non-English Language versions available: No
Where to get it: https://intellicare.cbits.northwestern.edu/#apps